Hi all! Thank you to those who joined us this past Thursday for our October Culture Kitchen event! This month we featured guest chef Vildan, who is from Turkey! Vildan walked us through how to make Apple Cake! She chose this dish because it is easy to make and uses simple ingredients, but it is also consistently delicious every time she makes it! In Turkey, cakes and pastries are some of the most popular tea time treats, often featuring nuts, fruits, and cinnamon. Aside from tea, this cake also goes great with coffee!
The complete recipe is included below! If you do try it, let us know how it goes! Also, if you are interested in learning a new recipe, keep an eye out for our next Culture Kitchen event in November!
1 cup (200 ml) of yogurt or milk
1 cup (200 ml) of vegetable or olive oil
1 cup (200 ml) sugar
1 teaspoon of vanilla extract
1 teaspoon of baking powder
2 cups (200 ml) of flour
1 lemon zest
2 apples (peeled and sliced)
2 tablespoons of crushed hazelnut or walnut (if preferred)
You will also need a cake pan. This can be a 24 cm/9.5 inch round pan or something similar.
1. Preheat oven to 355 F degrees and line a cake pan of 24 cm/9.5 in with parchment paper.
2. Whip yogurt (milk), oil, vanilla, sugar, and lemon zest in a deep bowl for 2 minutes with a hand mixer (or by hand for 4-5 min). Spare 1 cup of that sauce and keep it in the fridge.
3. Add 3 eggs to the remaining mix in the bowl and whip again for 2 minutes (or 4-5 min if by hand).
4. Add the flour and the baking powder to the mix through a sifter and stir the mix until you get it smooth and homogenous. Pour the mix into the prepared cake pan.
5. Place the apple slices on top and sprinkle with walnuts if preferred.
6. Bake for 45-50 minutes.
7. Once the cake is cooked and ready, take it out from the oven. After letting it cool down for 2-3 minutes, pour the sauce that you had set aside beforehand onto it. If desired, you can sprinkle the walnuts as a final touch.
Afiyet olsun! (The Turkish phrase for Bon Appétit or Enjoy! :)